Three easy Mexican recipes you can do at home
Mexican cuisine is incredibly complex and involves techniques and skills that have been developed and perfectionated for thousands of years. We carefully selected three recipes you can easily do from the comfort of your own home.
Bold Sriracha Beef Burritos: eight easy servings that can be done in 30 minutes.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon taco seasoning mix
- 6 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- 1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chiles
- 1 cup frozen cooked rice
- 1 cup canned refried beans
- 1 package (11 oz) flour tortillas for burritos (8 inch)
- ¾ cup shredded Cheddar cheese (3 oz)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Heat the oven to 375°F (or 190°C) and line the cookie sheet with foil.
- In a 10-inch skillet, cook the beef over medium-high heat 5 to 7. Don’t forget to frequently stir until it is thoroughly cooked. Then, drain and stir in 1 tablespoon of the taco seasoning mix, add just 2 tablespoons of the Sriracha sauce, after that mix the chiles, rice, and beans.
- Use the remaining Sriracha sauce to brush one side of each tortilla. Put 1/3 of the cup bean mixture in the center of the tortillas and add cheese. Fold the tortilla.
- Mix the oil and 1 teaspoon of taco seasoning in a small bowl and then brush the tops of the burritos with this oil mixture. Bake it 12-15 minutes.
Mexican Sopes: it takes 25 minutes to cook and results in 12 servings
- 3 cups masa harina
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups warm water, or as needed
- 1-quart oil for frying
- Whisk the masa harina and salt together, in a bowl. Add water to the mixture. You should add enough water until the dough is smooth and holds together. Form the dough into 2-inch balls and flatten them into a ½-inch thick circle.
- Heat the oil to 400 degrees F (or 200 degrees C) in a deep-fryer or large saucepan.
- Fry the dough using hot oil until the sopes are delicately browned on each side. Using a tong, take the sopes and place them on a paper towel-lined plate. Let them cool until you can safely handle the sopes. Form little boats by pinching together the margins of each sope and fry them until they look cooked through and have a golden look (it should take around 1-2 minutes).
Huevos Rancheros: it is perfect for breakfast and can be done in 10 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil or sunflower oil
- 1 corn tortilla wrap
- 1 egg
- 200g can of black beans, drained
- juice ½ lime
- peel and slice ½ avocado
- 50g feta, crumbled
- hot chili sauce
- Add oil in a grying pan and heat it over high heat. After you add the tortilla, fry it for another 1-2 minutes until it’s crispy on the edges.
- Cook an egg into a frying pan. In a bowl, tip the beans, season and add lime juice. Mash them carefully with a fork.
- Add the beans over the tortilla and top it with the egg, avocado, feta and chili sauce. Add more lime juice before eating it, according to your preferences.